New York, NY 10019
- Hours: Mon.-Sun. 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Cuisine: Austrian, Baked Goods, and Desserts
- Meals Served: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, and Tea
- Price Range: $$ ($9-$15)
- Restaurant Style: Bakery and Cafe
Eloise would have a field day in this opulent Viennese pastry shop located in the retail section of the Plaza Hotel. As the first international outpost of the venerable Austrian chocolatier, it serves up the same hand-crafted cakes and confections made according to Vienna’s imperial tradition, and carried out here by onetime Montrachet and Nobu pastry chef Jemal Edwards. Yes, you can finally enjoy Demel's confections stateside (it only took them 200-plus years)—but for a price: A single slice of the elaborate 12-layer dobostorte or the signature chocolate sachertorte will run you $8. If you’re looking for just a taste of the sweet life, opt for bite-size puff pastry schaumrolle or wiener apfelstrudel made with diced apples, walnuts and a dash of cinnamon. In addition to the café, there’s also a shop for pre-packaged chocolates on the go.
- Atmosphere and Personality
- Area Classic, Cleanliness, Family Friendly, Tourist Spot, and Upscale
- People Watching, Takeout/Carryout, and Tourist Spot
- Payment Methods
- Major Credit Cards
- Cross Streets
- At Fifth Ave.
- Public Transportation
- N,R,W to Fifth Ave.