Caracas Arepa Bar
New York, NY 10009
- Hours: Mon.-Sun. 12 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
- Cuisine: Venezuelan and Latin American . Arepas
- Meals Served: Lunch and Dinner
- Price Range: $ (Under $9)
- Alcohol: Beer and Wine
- Restaurant Style: Snack Shop
- Smoking: No
Venezuela may be beset by political turmoil, but you won’t find any Hugo Chavez–worthy controversy at this East Village eatery, which strikes a culinary truce with a smattering of arepas—grilled cornmeal cakes stuffed with a variety of fillings. Stuffings run the gamut from luscious (creamy white cheese, fried sweet plantains and avocado) to hearty (grilled chicken breast with caramelized onions and cheddar cheese), while prices—the average arepa costs about $7—are anything but dictatorial.